TLC East Kent Appeal - Teddies For Loving and Care - To provide teddies to Accident & Emergency and Minor Injury Units in East Kent
The TLC Appeal has a simple objective:
• To provide teddies to Accident & Emergency and Minor Injury Units in East Kent:
• For the medical staff to give, at their discretion, to children who may be in severe distress;
• And where the staff feels that a teddy to cuddle will help alleviate that distress and assist them in their urgent work;
• The children can take the teddies home with them.
The use of the teddies has been proved to have beneficial effects for the children admitted to A & E units - by relieving the distress that they face and alleviating the fear of the being treated by complete strangers.
The teddies are used in various ways
• As something for the staff to help befriend the child;
• For the child to cuddle;
• As a reward for being brave;
• For staff to demonstrate what they are going to do;
• By relieving the distress of the children, the parents, guardians and siblings may also be relieved;
• To allow staff to help befriend the children and relieve their distress, the medical staff are able to administer medical treatment more easily and quickly.
Where the child returns to hospital for further treatment, more often than not the TLC Teddy that they were given accompanies them. The TLC Teddy seems to provide them with confidence and reassurance.